- Amazon forest,
ABSTRACT. In the diverse genus Psychoda, a great number of species are described based only on one sex, mainly for the difficulties of sexual association in this taxon. Immatures of coprophagous moth flies were captured on a sample of cow dung left exposed during five days at Reserva Ducke (Manaus, Brazil), in the Brazilian Amazon. The presence of Psychodidae larvae was confirmed with a stereomicroscope and the material was kept resting at room temperature until the emergence of adults. Male and females of Psychoda serraorobonensis Bravo, Cordeiro & Chagas, 2006 were obtained and associated by the morphology of the immatures and adults. The male of P. serraorobonensis is herein described and illustrated and the distribution of this species in Brasil is updated. This is the first data about the feeding habits of this species.
- Bravo, F. (1996) Análise Filogenética dos Psychodidae (Diptera, Psychodomorpha), com ênfase nos Psychodinae e Trichomyiinae. Tese de Doutorado - Setor de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Curitiba, 118 pp.
- Bravo, F., Cordeiro, D., Chagas, C. (2006) Two new species and new records of Psychoda Latreille (Diptera, Psychodidae, Psychodinae) from Brazil, with comments on supraspecific classification of the genus and an actualized list of Latin American and Caribbean islands species. Zootaxa, 1298, 1–15.
- Cordeiro, D., Bravo, F., de Carvalho, C. J. B. (2011) Taxonomy of Brazilian Psychoda Latreille, 1796 (Diptera, Psychodidae) with the description of thirteen new species. Zootaxa, 3101, 1–37.
- Cumming, J. M., Wood, D. M. (2009) Adult morphology and terminology [Chapter] 2. In: Brown, B. V.; Borkent, A.; Cumming, J. M.; Wood, D. M.; Woodley, N. E., Zumbado, M. A. (Eds.): Manual of Central American Diptera, Volume 1, NRC Research Press, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, p. 9–50.
- Quate, L. W. (1996) Preliminary taxonomic of Costa Rica: Psychodidae (Diptera), exclusive of Plebotominae. Revista de Biología Tropical, 44 (Supplement 1), 1–81.
- Quate, L. W., Brown, B. V. (2004) Revision of Neotropical Setomimini (Diptera: Psychodidae: Psychodinae). Publications of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Contributions in Science, 500, 1–117.
- Shimabukuro, P. H. F., Andrade, A. J., Galati, E. A. B., Cordeiro, D. P., Bravo, F. (2018) Psychodidae in Catálogo Taxonômico da Fauna do Brasil. PNUD. Disponível em: http://fauna.jbrj.gov.br/fauna/faunadobrasil/16799 (acesso em: 31 Jul. 2018).