Vol. 29 Núm. 2 (2013)
Notas científicas

Native bees in blooming orange (Citrus sinensis) and lemon (C. limon) orchards in Yucatán, Mexico

Julieta Grajales-Conesa
Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán
Virginia Meléndez-Ramírez
Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán
Leopoldo Cruz-López
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur. Unidad Tapachula
Daniel Sánchez
El Colegio de la Frontera Sur. Unidad Tapachula

Publicado 2013-08-31

Cómo citar

Grajales-Conesa, J., Meléndez-Ramírez, V., Cruz-López, L., & Sánchez, D. (2013). Native bees in blooming orange (Citrus sinensis) and lemon (C. limon) orchards in Yucatán, Mexico. ACTA ZOOLÓGICA MEXICANA (N.S.), 29(2), 437-440. https://doi.org/10.21829/azm.2013.2921124

Resumen

The objective of this study was to determine the richness and abundance of bees (Hymenoptera, Apoidea) in orange and lemon orchards in bloom in Yucatan, Mexico. Eight were collected species of bees; 98% of the specimens corresponded to Apis mellifera, and the remaining 2% to bees native These findings are discussed based on the ecology of native bees and previous studies
in the same area of study.

Citas

  1. Biesmeijer, J., Roberts, S., Reemer, M., Ohlemuller, R., Edwards, M., Peeters, T., Schaffers, A., Potts, S., Kleukers, R., Thomas, C., Settele, J. & Kunin, W. 2006. Parallel declines in pollinators and insect-pollinated plants in Britain and the Netherlands. Science, 313: 351-354.
  2. Cairns, C., Villanueva-Gutiérrez, R., Koptur, S. & Bray, D. 2005. Bee Populations, Forest Disturbance, and Africanization in Mexico. Biotropica, 37: 686-692.
  3. Chacoff, N. & Aizen, M. 2006. Edge effects on flower-visiting insects in grapefruit plantations bordering
  4. premontane subtropical forest. Journal of Applied Ecology, 43: 18-27.
  5. Chacoff, N., Aizen, M. & Aschero, V. 2008. Proximity to forest edge does not affect crop production despite pollen limitation. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 275: 907-913.
  6. Flores, S. & Espejel, I. 1994. Tipos de vegetación de la península de Yucatán. Universidad Autónoma de Yucatán, 136 pp.
  7. Kearns, C. & Inouye, D. 1997. Pollinators, Flowering Plants, and Conservation Biology. BioScience, 47: 297-307.
  8. Kearns, C. & Thomson, J. 2001. The natural history of bumblebees: a sourcebook for investigations. University Press of Colorado, 130 pp.
  9. Klein, A., Steffan-Dewenter, I. & Tscharntke, T. 2003. Fruit set of highland coffee increases with the diversity of pollinating bees. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 270: 955-961.
  10. Klein, A., Steffan-Dewenter, I. & Tscharntke, T. 2003. Pollination of Coffea canephora in relation to local and regional agroforestry management. Journal of Applied Ecology, 40: 837-845.
  11. Kremen, C., Williams, N. & Thorp, R. 2002. Crop pollination from native bees at risk from agricultural intensification. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences USA, 99: 16812-16816.
  12. Missiaen, E. 1981. Citrus fruit industry: Mexico. Department of Agriculture, Foreign Agriculture Service, 38 pp.
  13. Monforte, A. 2009. Diversidad de abejas nativas en un paisaje fragmentado de Yucatán, México. VI congreso Mesoamericano sobre Abejas Nativas. La Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala.
  14. Rickets, T., Daily, G., Ehrlich, P. & Michener, C. 2004. Economic value of tropical forest to coffee production. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences USA, 101: 12579-12582.
  15. Sanford, M. 1992. Pollination of Citrus by Honey bees. RF-AA092, Florida cooperative Extensión Service. University of Florida, 6 pp.
  16. Slaa, J., Sánchez-Chavez, A., Malagodi-Braga, K. & Hofstede, F. 2006. Stingless bees in applied pollination: practice and perspectives. Apidologie, 37: 293-315.
  17. Steffan-Dewenter, I. & Tscharntke, T. 2002. Insect communities and biotic interactions on fragmented calcareous grasslands -a mini review. Biological Conservation, 104: 275-284.